Colour Inspiration from Apron Strings

** I wrote this post yesterday but Blogger was giving me issues so I had to finish it today.**

It was the last day of school today and after a short assembly we said goodbye to Marley’s teacher. A sad goodbye. She was a wonderful teacher for Marley to have this year. Marley has blossomed under her tutelage! Her reading and writing have taken off! She’s even started reading the Narnia series … although she just gave me back The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe in favour of another Fairy Friends book. Oh well, it’s a long summer so I’m sure it’ll make its way back into her hands. Anyway, I’m digressing.

The reason I’m posting today is because in the heady excitement of the first day of summer holiday, all 3 girls played quite happily and quietly together. I got some business done – phone calls and emails for the preschool, made a lasagne and then still had time to crank out a layout for the latest Apron Strings challenge. I know, I know, this is an anomaly and will most likely not be repeated for the next 2 months! Which is why I took advantage of it!!

The challenge was a colour combo combo – here it is.

And here is my layout.

Part of my day (while the lasagne sauce was simmering) was spent printing off pictures so I can continue Paige’s Baby Album over the summer. When I saw the green grass and the blue eggs in these Easter pictures I knew I could use them for this colour challenge. I happened to have a piece of lime green cardstock sitting out beside my drafting table (doesn’t everyone?) so I went digging in my scrap drawer for some blues. Everything looked SO bright I started brainstorming ways to tone it down. I put some white paint on my cardstock base around the edges and then some splatters in the centre – which I realize now you can’t really see. Oh well. Trust me when I say they look cool! Then I roughed up the edges of the blue strips to soften their look. And finally I got probably my most ingenious idea ever. I found a toilet paper roll, squished it a bit and then dabbed it in white ink to stamp some egg-like shapes all over. I know, I know, please hold the applause. LOL!

Oh yeah. I even remembered a title this time!! 🙂
I decided to put my journalling into one of the eggs. I felt anything else would have detracted from the design .
In this shot you can see some of my stamped “eggs” and even a couple paint splatters.
Supplies used: all cardstock is from my stash; patterned paper with the words is from TPC Studio I think (the scrap I used had its manufacturer info cut off it!); egg shapes were cut on my Cricut awhile back and dug out of my scrap drawer – the creamy ones are from Crate Paper – Katlin collection Daydream, and the green patterned paper is from a Spring Stack by DCWV; white paint is a guache byLukas from deSerres; white alphas (2006) are Basic Grey – Basics Micro Mono stickers; Easter stickers are from my stash too – by Recollections and the white ink is Frost White from Color Box.
If you liked this post, say thanks by sharing it with your friends.
This entry was posted in challenges, layout, Scrapbook. Bookmark the permalink.